One of the best memories of childhood summers is the chocolaty goodness of the classic ice cream sandwich sticking to your fingers as you tried to eat it fast enough for the ice cream not to melt. The classic ice cream sandwich was so delicious and cool. Ice cream sandwiches are still a great summertime treat, but no longer are we limited to the classic grocery store or ice cream truck variety. The only limit to scrumptious ice cream sandwiches is your imagination. Here are five killer ice cream sandwich combos to jumpstart your imagination as we heat up for the summer.
- Brownies: Make a pan of brownies in a slightly larger pan than the recipe calls for and cook for five less minutes. When cool, cut the brownies into good size squares. Let some chocolate chunk ice cream soften and spoon between two brownies. Place the sandwiches on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer long enough for the ice cream to firm up well. You will have amazing, double chocolate brownie ice cream sandwiches that will instantly disappear.
- Vanilla Wafers: Vanilla Wafers are a great way to make mini-ice cream sandwiches for little hands. As your ice cream softens slightly, pour some colorful candy sprinkles in a saucer or shallow bowl. Place one good spoonful of vanilla ice cream between two vanilla wafers. Immediately roll the edges around in the sprinkles. Place the vanilla wafer ice cream sandwiches on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for at least a half hour. Your little ones will love the simple goodness of vanilla wafers and ice cream.
- Ginger Snaps: You will need some ginger snap The ones from the dollar store work great. Use any type of caramel or caramel swirl vanilla ice cream to make the sandwiches. These little sandwiches mix sweet and tangy in a perfect combination. Don’t forget to place them in freezer to firm up before serving.
- Sherbet: You can also make fabulous ice cream sandwiches with refreshing sherbet! Either make or buy some large sugar cookies. Pepperidge Farm sugar cookies work really well. Spoon any flavor sherbet in between two cookies and place in the freezer for about an hour. With sherbet flavors as varied as raspberry and pineapple, the possibilities are endless. Another nice touch to this sandwich is to top it with a scoop of whipped topping when it’s served. Yummy!
- Chocolate chip: Pick up some chewy chocolate chip cookies, cookie dough ice cream and mini chocolate chips for a triple delight of chocolate chip Place the chips in a saucer or shallow bowl. Place softened ice cream between two cookies and immediately roll the edges around in the chips. Place on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. In about an hour you will have triple chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches to die for!
These are just five killer ice cream sandwich combos. The possibilities are endless! Use your imagination to come up with even more delicious combinations that your family will love!